[nSLUG] Ubuntu unpredictable 'Top Panel' changes

Gerard MacNeil macneil.g at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 16:48:17 ADT 2013

I guess I'm playing Tech Support this week,

The "Top Panel" etc., explanation tells me you run a Gnome2 interface.
Gnome2 is obsolete.

The "New Mail" icon shows up when you have New Mail, which I suspect is
not the mail you anticipate. Ubuntu, IIRC, would send system mail to
whichever user that was created on install. Debian sends the same mail
to the root user. If I am correct, you would find the mail
in /var/mail/<usename> or /var/spool/mail/<username>.

So, what I think is happening with the Mail icon is that when you first
login, there is new mail from the system. Gnome2 shows you the icon.
After you have been logged in for some length of time (5 minutes, 10
minutes??), the mail is no longer "new" (just unread) and the icon
disappears.

The Shutdown Icon is another, worse and more complicated story than is
not worth telling. The real problem is that distribution of Ubuntu you
are using.

The solution is Linux Mint:http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
The "MATE" Edition is Gnome2 that works and is supported.
The "Cinnamon" Edition is Gnome3 that works,
The "KDE" edition is the first KDE distribution that I could even use.
The "Xfce" Edition I did not try but would be my first choice on an
older computer.

Gerard