[nSLUG] Re: MPlayer subtitle problem

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Thu Apr 25 00:43:22 ADT 2013

I wrote:

me> On closer scrutiny of last night's effort, I see that faces (which
me> are the most important part of a piece like Henry V, aren't they?)
me> are all squished horizontally....[in the ripped avi file]

Daniel Morrison pointed me to great, well-written docs on using
mencoder.  But as he pointed out,

dm> I highly recommend this document:
dm>
dm>    http://mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/encoding-guide.html
dm>
dm> which is huge....

Oy, is it ever. I can never beat all that up and do experiments before
tonight's movie-time.

But wait, Herb Theriault pointed me to:

ht> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097499/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

where the DVD's aspect ratio is reported as 1.85:1. And when I start
mplayer on my ripped file, it reports:

   Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
   VO: [xv] 720x480 => 854x480 Planar YV12

both of which aspects are wrong.

Time to cheat.  Mplayer has command line switches to re-scale x & y
independently.  So playing the ripped file with -x 888 (888/480==1.85)
fixed me right up: subs work and Henry's head is the right shape.

And we enjoyed Henry V very much.

Thanks again,
- Mike

                                                           /V\