[nSLUG] MPlayer subtitle problem

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 19:16:19 ADT 2013

On 2013-04-24 18:52, mspencer at tallships.ca wrote:
>> In my experience with aspect ratios, leaving mencoder to it's own
>> devices usually works. In this case, HenryV is 1.85:1, not
>> anamorphic.

DVD @ 720/480 is 1.5, not 1.85. Are you sure HenryV is not anamorphic? I
wouldn't trust the IMDB tech specs. Use the source, Luke! (in this case the
DVD media in hand).

> On closer scrutiny of last night's effort, I see that faces (which are
> the most important part of a piece like Henry V, aren't they?) are all
> squished horizontally, too tall & narrow.  Not unwatchable but enough
> to be annoying.
>
> Maybe I can get a better rip before movie time tonight.

If you don't get a new rip, you can try to play it back with:

mplayer -aspect 1.85 henryv.avi

BTW I'm keen on mplayer/mencoder (obviously) but I forgot to say: if all
this seems like a lot of wasted time, you could "just use handbrake"! :)

http://handbrake.fr/

It's really quite good.

-D.

--
What is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be truth.
               -- Richard Feynman