[nSLUG] Re: MPlayer subtitle problem

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Apr 24 18:52:21 ADT 2013

Herb Theriault wrote:

> Seconded on the two pass encoding. It turns out a much better image.

Noted.

> When in doubt, IMDB the tech specs, then wiki the aspect :-)
>
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097499/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

Ah!  I didn't know about that info source. Good!

> In my experience with aspect ratios, leaving mencoder to it's own
> devices usually works. In this case, HenryV is 1.85:1, not
> anamorphic. Usually you will notice when it's not right anyway, it
> will either be stretched or squished, never cropped, since that
> requires a separate flag.

On closer scrutiny of last night's effort, I see that faces (which are
the most important part of a piece like Henry V, aren't they?) are all
squished horizontally, too tall & narrow.  Not unwatchable but enough
to be annoying.

I just left aspect ratio to  MPlayer's "own devices".

Maybe I can get a better rip before movie time tonight.

Tnx,
- Mike

PS: I feel like a ab-tbbq fuvg for being cranky when you've been
    helpful, Herb, but can you post text rather than exclusively MIME
    multipart/alternative, all base-64 encoded?  Or am I just clinging
    to the Luddite trailing edge of technology?

                                                           /V\