[nSLUG] Re: MPlayer subtitle problem

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Apr 24 02:35:36 ADT 2013

I think I have a movie with working subtitles!  Haven't watched all
the way through (tomorrow night's movie with Peggy :-) but it sails
right past the problem spot, correctly displaying subs, in sync, from
the .srt file.

The successful incantation was to rip the movie from the DVD with:

        mencoder dvd://1 -ni -o henry.avi -oac copy -ovc lavc \
                 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=1:vbitrate=1800

arrived at by cook-booking from the manpage plus trial & error.  Tried
some other incantations first, all of which slowed to a snail's pace
about halfway through the movie and/or emitted error
messages. Guessing (from mencoder messages) that it was the -ni (no
interlace) that fixed it, possibly at the expense of not-quite-perfect
video. Mencoder remains intimidating, what with so many options that I
don't understand and having to wait for an hour's hard CPU grinding to
see if some row of command line hen tracks worked.

But in any case, I didn't have to hard-write the subs into the .avi
file. HenryV.avi is now dribbling across my tediously slow LAN to the
computer with the nice big CRT monitor.

Tnx for help and pointers,
- Mike

                                                           /V\