[nSLUG] Used laptop hard drive with no boot sector

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 24 00:30:35 ADT 2013

Thanks to all the NSLUG members who replied.  The reason you didn't
receive my original message is that I sent it first to the Halifax
Computer Club members, as that club (of which Jack W. and I are both
members) meets Wednesday evening, April 24th and I had planned to 'touch
base' with them first.  I plan to get the laptop working, and pass it
along to my daughter in Truro.  The system was originally a Windows
machine, and my daughter is only familiar with Windows, so on the KISS
principle we will stick with that for the present.  I have the WinXP
system disk.
With regard to the CD drive, I am unfamiliar with the Dell, and have
since discovered that it had both a CD drive (on the left side, which
apparently doesn't work) and a DVD drive on the front.  The setup screen
lists only a single, CD, drive, and at the time of my post I just hadn't
noticed the other one.  I have since been able to boot both CD and DVD
Ubuntu Live disks in the DVD drive.
Frank