[nSLUG] Used laptop hard drive with no boot sector

Jack Warkentin jwark at bellaliant.net
Tue Apr 23 20:47:16 ADT 2013

Hi Frank

The syslinux GNU/Linux package contains a collection of boot loaders. If
you already have a running system it can be used to replace the Master
Boot Record (MBR) and install a boot loader on a hard drive.

In your case, I would suggest downloading the image for, and creating, a
System Rescue CD. See

http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage

and booting this to repair the damage.

If you can't get the rescue CD to boot, I would suggest removing the
hard drive from that laptop and installing it on another computer, then
use syslinux, or, examine the contents of the drive to see if there is
any useful information on it first.

Regards

Jack

Jack Warkentin, phone 902-404-0457, email jwark at bellaliant.net