[nSLUG] MPlayer subtitle problem

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Tue Apr 23 08:30:37 ADT 2013

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013, Mike Spencer wrote:

> The subtitle file contains no non-ASCII characters.  I tried replacing
> the 0D0A linebreaks with just 0A, still fails at the same point. I
> can't spot any typos or logical errors near the point of failure such
> as "stop before start" or leaps ahead in time.

How sure are you on that? WAG but there may be UTF or otherwise extended
characters embedded in there that someone has inadvertently added. Also
maybe try altering the times of subtitles 730-735 to occur sequentially at
a one second break to see if it's a timing issue. Re-encoding the DVD with
the subtitles hard coded by mencoder (see eg
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1155877 for a sample) might work
too.

I subtitled an ASL course video once. It was incredibly finicky and time
consuming even using a .srt editor, I'm not overly surprised you are
having problems.

Cheers... Dop.