[nSLUG] MPlayer subtitle problem

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Apr 23 03:51:43 ADT 2013

Picked up a DVD of Henry V (MGM, 1989), no English subtitles on disk
but I downloaded a .srt subtitle file to use with it. [1] It's the
simple format with entries like:

    733
    00:57:52,596 --> 00:57:55,963
    and quickly bring us word
    of England's fall.

    734
    00:59:18,890 --> 00:59:20,482
    Come. Come in.

The subtitles work with MPlayer, are synched correctly with the sound
track.  But they just stop between the two records in the above
example.  After a minute or so, they start again but they go back to
record #1 from the beginning of the prologue.

Google has turned up a very little about a somewhat similar problem
from 2008 but I've downloaded and compiled the most recent version
of MPlayer (1.1).

The subtitle file contains no non-ASCII characters.  I tried replacing
the 0D0A linebreaks with just 0A, still fails at the same point. I
can't spot any typos or logical errors near the point of failure such
as "stop before start" or leaps ahead in time.

Before I go off to to dabble in the MPlayer mailing list (where I was
treated rudely the last time I asked a question), does anyone have a
clue, pointer, hack or magic incantation to help me here?

Tnx,
- Mike

[1] Hard of hearing, y'know?  Speech discrimination loss. DVDs are a
    big win for me becuase I can always have English subtitles.  Well,
    *almost* always.

                                                           /V\