[nSLUG] Evoting - besides the point

Doug McComber doug.mccomber at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 20:00:50 ADT 2012

On 23 October 2012 14:55, Daniel AJ Sokolov <daniel at falco.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A lot of the technical issues around e-voting are a massive problem, as
> there is no transparency and hardly any reliable way for an audit. We
> can discuss this ad libem. But it is besides the point.
>
> With online voting, you never know who is actually voting, and if
> someone is standing behind them, watching. That is a the death kknell
> for a democratic public election.

I couldn't agree more, and this is never reported in the news.
E-voting is an erosion of democracy for those with controlling
spouses.  A bullying spouse could tell their spouse to vote a certain
way, but once at the polls they can vote however they want.  But at
home the controlling spouse can make them vote the way they want.

I wouldn't hazard a guess as to how often this would happen but I'd
argue that 1 in a thousand is 1 too many, and that it trumps the
argument of e-voting getting more people to vote or getting those with
accessibility issues to vote.  There is no proof that e-voting does
that anyway.