[nSLUG] Evoting Rant

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 22:37:05 ADT 2012

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2012, Frank Geitzler wrote:
>
>  I was telling my wife this morning about the technical, political, and
>> personal issues which have already raised, and she made me aware of a
>> procedural one.  She was speaking to our daughter in Truro on the phone
>> yesterday, who said canvassers came to her door yesterday seeking her
>> support.  She (and we) thought that 'electioneering' (requesting your
>> political support) was legally required to stop once the polls opened
>> -obviously not the case if it is permitted while evoting is taking
>> place...
>>

> The canvassers are severely misinformed on the subject of election laws
> and requirements. Every election I have an argument with them that just
> because I live in Canada does not qualify me to vote (I am a permanent
> resident carrying a UK passport). I am constantly told I am mistaken and
> should be voting, even after I show them http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/**
> newcomers/about-pr.asp<http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp>which explicitly states non-citizens are not permitted to vote in Canadian
> elections for political office. When I received my PR status I was told
> then by the immigration officer never to even try to vote as that risks me
> losing my PR status.
>
> Cheers... Dop.

I was once a trained worker for the Elections in Ontario, doing door
to door enumerations.  We learned that in that province, anyone with
Canadian or British citizenship could vote in an Ontario election if they
were
a full time resident of the province. This ended in 1985/88.

Until recently, British subjects could also vote in Nova Scotia elections.

http://nslegislature.ca/legc/bills/58th_2nd/1st_read/b029.htm

Came into effect after the 2006 election.

For federal elections I think Canadian citizenship has been
a requirement for a long time.