[nSLUG] Evoting Rant

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 18 11:18:02 ADT 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-18 at 10:26 -0300, Monte Stevens wrote:
> Frank Geitzler <frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca> writes:
>
> > I was telling my wife this morning about the technical, political, and
> > personal issues which have already raised, and she made me aware of a
> > procedural one.  She was speaking to our daughter in Truro on the phone
> > yesterday, who said canvassers came to her door yesterday seeking her
> > support.  She (and we) thought that 'electioneering' (requesting your
> > political support) was legally required to stop once the polls opened
> > -obviously not the case if it is permitted while evoting is taking
> > place...
>

> The election will be held on October 20.
> http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/municipal/government/elections/2012.asp
>
> People may be voting early in advance polls.
>
> -- Monte
Thanks, Monte.  I referred to the above elections act, and after some
searching found the following section, where I think in section 155(1)
(b) "at the advance polling place" could be any person's home, or any
publicly available computer or wi-fi location, and "on advance polling
day" would be any day on which evoting was available.

Frank

155 (1) Every person who

 (a) during the hours of polling on ordinary polling day

        (i) supplies, carries or wears any flag, ribbon, emblem, badge
        or like favour with the intent to distinguish the user as the
        supporter of a candidate,

        (ii) supplies, carries or uses a loud speaker, public address
        system, flag or banner with the intent that it be used to
        support a candidate, or

         (iii) organizes or participates in a parade or demonstration
        that supports a candidate;

(b) at a polling place on ordinary polling day or at the advance polling
place on advance polling day, posts or displays in, or within two
hundred feet of, any wall of the building in which a polling place is
situated any literature, emblem, ribbon, flag, sign, banner, card, bill,
poster or device that tends to support a candidate;

(c) acts, incites others to act or conspires to act in a disorderly
manner with intent to prevent the transaction of the business of a
public meeting called for the purpose of the election; or

 (d) removes, mutilates, defaces or alters any notice or document
required by this Act to be posted,

is guilty of an offence and is liable to a fine of not more than two
thousand five hundred dollars and in default of payment thereof to
imprisonment for a term of not more than six months.

 (2) Where there is a violation of clause (b) of subsection (1) and such
violation is brought to the attention of a returning officer, he shall
cause the offending devices to be removed and may deduct the cost from
the candidate's deposit. R.S., c. 300, s. 155; 2003, c. 9, s. 42.