[nSLUG] Evoting Rant

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Oct 18 10:25:01 ADT 2012

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012, Frank Geitzler wrote:

> I was telling my wife this morning about the technical, political, and
> personal issues which have already raised, and she made me aware of a
> procedural one.  She was speaking to our daughter in Truro on the phone
> yesterday, who said canvassers came to her door yesterday seeking her
> support.  She (and we) thought that 'electioneering' (requesting your
> political support) was legally required to stop once the polls opened
> -obviously not the case if it is permitted while evoting is taking
> place...

The canvassers are severely misinformed on the subject of election laws
and requirements. Every election I have an argument with them that just
because I live in Canada does not qualify me to vote (I am a permanent
resident carrying a UK passport). I am constantly told I am mistaken and
should be voting, even after I show them
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp which explicitly
states non-citizens are not permitted to vote in Canadian elections for
political office. When I received my PR status I was told then by the
immigration officer never to even try to vote as that risks me losing my
PR status.

Cheers... Dop.