[nSLUG] Making use of an SSD

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Wed Oct 17 16:17:28 ADT 2012

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012, Joel Maxuel wrote:

> 4. mount them to a temporary point (/mnt/usr, /mnt/opt/)
> 5. cp -a the original data to the temporary points

A speedup for you, by using a different process for reading and writing:

( cd /usr && tar -cf - ./ ) | ( cd /mnt/usr && tar -xvf - )

Repeat for /opt and any other directories.

> Please let me know if I missed anything important.  Also, if there are
> any other mount points I should consider (high demand for reads, very
> little writes), please include as well.  Thanks!

/var/lib may be a good candidate, depending on what you have installed
(eg, mysql).

/lib (and /lib32, /lib64 as appropriate) may be other candidates worth
considering. I would recommend leaving the underlying /lib directories on
the HDD for a little bit of safety.

Use tmpfs for frequently written to directories that hold data that
doesn't need to survive a reboot. Examples would be your browser cache,
/var/run (or wherever your pids are stored), and (if appropriate) /tmp and
other tmp directories such as /var/tmp. Don't forget to set permissions
appropriately.

Cheers... Dop.