[nSLUG] Making use of an SSD

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 14:43:22 ADT 2012

Good afternoon,

Considering how cheap SSD's are getting, I'll soon be picking one up as a
big thank you to my 1.5 yr old desktop (with maybe another 2GB of RAM).

I was originally thinking of moving my / mount point to the new one (/var,
/home, and swap already have their own partitions), but for the sake of
simplicity, I think I'll just create /usr and /opt on the new drive and
migrate those files over (I think those are the ones with the best chance
for improved performance).  Ultimately if I am faced with a complete
re-install in the future, I'll set up the mount points properly with only
/var, /tmp, /home and swap on the platter.

I think I have the process down...
1. cfdisk to make the new partitions
2. format them with ext4
3. switch to single user mode
4. mount them to a temporary point (/mnt/usr, /mnt/opt/)
5. cp -a the original data to the temporary points
6. edit fstab to include /usr and /opt in their new locations, ading the
options *noatime,nodiratime,discard*
7. rename (mv) the existing /usr and /opt to something that won'd collide
(/usr-old /opt-old)
8. create the directories /usr and /opt
9. cross fingers and reboot!

Please let me know if I missed anything important.  Also, if there are any
other mount points I should consider (high demand for reads, very little
writes), please include as well.  Thanks!

--
Cheers,
Joel Maxuel

 - Ronan Harris / Mark Jackson