[nSLUG] List maintenance

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 09:46:25 ADT 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Daniel Morrison <draker at gmail.com> wrote:

> There's a homepage! Whaddya know.
> I found it by removing the extras from the mailing list archives link
> at the bottom of email.
>
> MediaWiki, huh. Looks like it's been cracked. Click the last link on
> the main page (Statistics) and check out the 'most viewed pages'.
> Number one is:
>
> http://nslug.ns.ca/mediawiki/index.php/MediaWiki_talk:Imagepage
>
> Or just hit 'random page'.
>
> Hmm, I take it back. It hasn't been cracked; you just don't have a
> default edit password set!

mediawiki seems to be installed with stupid defaults, perfect for
the spammers trying to elevate their google page rank score.
In every case I've seen to date, it isn't used with multiple contributors,
but as a simple CMS.

If it is like a case a user set up at my work, the database is swelled
by 2 GB with these junk pages full of links.

I laughed when I saw this one:

http://nslug.ns.ca/mediawiki/index.php/Irc

"For an instant, Ben was taken aback." followed by a link.
Done from an IP in Germany.

Eventually, the number of edit bot hits on these things escalates,
and it will put a load on the server.  The NSLUG mediawiki spamming
started around July 31 2012.

The one I had to deal with had 6 months of spams, and over 1000
unique IPs of bots were visiting the site, undoing each other's edits.