[nSLUG] List maintenance

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Mon Oct 1 18:32:36 ADT 2012

At the meeting (still ongoing) a member mentioned that the digest was broken for him. This,
apparently, wasn't the first time it had been mentioned, but it was the first time I took sufficient
notice to try to figure out what was going on. So I logged in and found that the archive ownership
was wrong (was root:www-data, now changed to list:www-data) so mailman couldn't write to it. The
damage seems to date back to when we changed hosting at the end of last year. So, for any users who
are on digest who just received a 709K digest of every post in 2012, my apologies. :)

With luck, this means that from this post on, the nslug archives will now work (I mean our local
pipermail archives -- nabble works because the Nabble list archive user is subscribed to our list).
However, without painstaking manual reconstruction of the list archives from an external source, I
don't see us getting the rest of 2012 back. Since Nabble does such a good job compared to pipermail
it is hard to get very excited about such an endeavour in any case.

Your friendly (albeit sometime delinquent ;) co-admin,
Ben