[nSLUG] Re: Problem with efax & USR Faxmodem

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Nov 28 18:59:20 AST 2012

WRT efax succeeding with one recipient and failing with another,
francis picabia <fpicabia at gmail.com> wrote:

fp> The only tip I have, is to disable call waiting and such.

Good guess but I don't have any of those add-on services.

Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> then wrote:

dop> So the fax infrastructure per se tested functional at least
dop> once. Were you faxing to another fax/modem, or to an actual fax
dop> machine?

Yes. The success was an actual fax machine. I *believe* the failure
was, also,  as the office person there referred to "the machine".

dop> You have probably got the modem set to go silent as soon as it
dop> hears carrier; I know with data connections you get to hear the
dop> full negotiation but fax I think cuts out as soon as V.8 comes
dop> in. Try setting M2 in your init and/or dial string to force
dop> speaker on all the time.

Okay. I have no reason, presently, to send any further faxen to the
problem number and they are certainly in no position to fool around
while I do diagnostic runs.  So that and your further remarks are
saved in case the need arises again.

dop> I've never used efax but I have plenty of experience with the
dop> faxing side as I wrote the localisation code for USR modems in
dop> the UK

Cool!

dop> My first guess would be to try using class 2.0 if you're using
dop> class 1 faxing, or if you are using class 2.0 use class 1.

The efax docs refer to classes 2.0, 2, and 1.  I tried 2.0 (default)
and  altering the script to use 2.  Didn't try 1.

> Also make sure the bit rate on the serial port is set high enough
> that it won't choke sending data through; 38400 or 57600 should do
> the trick, or 115200 if your hardware can take it (ie, 16550 UARTs).

The script I use for dialup explicitly tells pppd to set the UART to
115200.  I'm not certain if the setting gets reverted to some other
default when pppd exits nor if efax explicitly sets that. A quick
browse of the efax script and docs finds no mention of this item.

Tanks for the tips.  I'll report back if (when) I find an answer.

- Mike

                                                           /V\