[nSLUG] Launching various x-clients as part of Xwindows startup

Jack Warkentin jwark at bellaliant.net
Sat Dec 22 15:38:53 AST 2012

Hi Cliff

To accomplish a setup post-login, let's look at the original example
that I gave, which was

#! /bin/bash
# Test
gkrellm &
xeyes &
xfe -iconic &
exec /usr/bin/x-session-manager

which starts up 3 programs, gkrellm, xeyes, and xfe, as part of the startup.

To get this to happen post-login, simply replace the last line with
"exit", to obtain

#! /bin/bash
# Test
gkrellm &
xeyes &
xfe -iconic &
exit

and run this script post-login.

Suppose you named this script

PostLoginSetup

The most straightforward way to run it would be to open a terminal
window and issue

PostLoginSetup &

but this is not very elegant. In xfce, I would add a "launcher" to the
taskbar and set up this launcher to execute PostLoginSetup. Clicking on
the launcher icon in the panel would then run the script.

I expect that other desktop environments have equivalent mechanisms for
getting scripts executed, YMMV.

Whichever method you choose (the one that suits you best), you can
always go to the other method very simply.

Hope this helps.

Jack