[nSLUG] Launching various x-clients as part of Xwindows startup (was: nSLUG as incubator for personal project ideas)

Cliff Cameron treephrog at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 20:56:30 AST 2012

Hi Jack,

Thanks for taking the time to step me through that. I'll be picking away at
over the holidays, and this seems like a good, solid direction to go in.

Before I dive in, I just want to get feedback on a thought I had, reading
your input and re-reading my original message.

Specifically, under Scope, the line "run at startup".

It occurs to me that this would not necessarily have to be run as part of
the startup process per se, but could be run after the user has finished
logging into a window session; that is, they've logged in, whatever default
actions that happen on login have run, and they are sitting idle on the
"desktop". At that point, they could double-click an icon or something of
that nature to trigger the script(s) (or whatever method is used).

My question is, would it be easier to accomplish this post-login (as I've
just described) as opposed to making it part of the start-up process (my
original thought, and the basis for your outline)?

There might be some additional flexibility in NOT having the script run
automatically on startup (user could be logging in and doesn't require the
"work setup" to be launched), but I'd be happy either way. Just curious if
it might be easier to do the launch post-login, and if so, what would that
look like?

Thoughts?

Thanks again!