[nSLUG] Launching various x-clients as part of Xwindows startup (was: nSLUG as incubator for personal project ideas)

Jack Warkentin jwark at bellaliant.net
Fri Dec 21 17:28:37 AST 2012

Hi Cliff

The Xwindows system already has customization mechanisms in place by
which any number of x-clients may be started up as part of the login
process. For an overview, see man 7 X, man 1 xinit and man 5 Xsession.
In Debian, man 7 X comes as part of the xorg-docs-core package, man 1
xinit come in the xinit package, and man 5 Xsession comes as part of the
x11-common package.

Man 7 X talks about 2 ways of starting up X. I have used the xinit
method myself, many years ago, to successfully start up several
x-clients followed by the window manager. When starting by a display
manager (eg xdm, gdm3, kdm, lightdm) there can be complications,
resulting from the different ways that the combination of display
manager and desktop environment choose to handle startup.

In my case, I use lightdm and Xfce. In this particular combination, I
had to do two things in order to successfully accomplish what you want.
First, instead of choosing Xfce as the environment to log into, I had to
choose default. Second, I had to start Xfce from my .Xsession file,
which consisted of the following.

#! /bin/bash
# Test
gkrellm &
xeyes &
xfe -iconic &
exec /usr/bin/x-session-manager

This successfully started the 3 x-clients gkrellm, xeyes and xfe, and
then invoked the x-session-manager, which, as the following show, simply
starts up Xfce.

$ ll /usr/bin/x-session-manager
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 2011-05-01 15:19 /usr/bin/x-session-manager ->
/etc/alternatives/x-session-manager*
$ ll /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2011-05-01 15:19
/etc/alternatives/x-session-manager -> /usr/bin/startxfce4*

In fact, this looks very much like how one would code the starting up by
xinit.

By checking up on the above man pages and investigating how your own
combination of display manager/desktop environment work together, I hope
you can come up with a solution to your problem.

I hope this helps. Just ask if you need any clarification.

Regards

Jack