[nSLUG] Re: Further to my 'Evolution email sending error with Sympatico'

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Fri Dec 21 15:57:59 AST 2012

>     Error while Sending message.
>
>     Welcome response error:
>
>     torspm02.toronto.rmgopenwave.com connection refused

Just a quick net-snoop before rushing off to get groceries:

torspm02.toronto.rmgopenwave.com seems to resolve to 192.168.66.64
which is in  IANA's reserved list:

    NetRange:       192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
    CIDR:           192.168.0.0/16
    NetName:        PRIVATE-ADDRESS-CBLK-RFC1918-IANA-RESERVED
    NetHandle:      NET-192-168-0-0-1

I get that FQDN->dotted-quad answer from my own DNS and from 8.8.8.8.

Whatever 192.168.66.64 is, it should be internal to your ISP's local
net and should not resolve from a FQDN associated with a mobility
provider in California.

Sounds like DNS weirdness or, alternatively, launch of some cute
behind-the-scenes technology that isn't working right yet. (Could the
hostname "torspm02" hint that this is a server for some kind of sp[ia]m
checker?)

Curiouser and curiouser,
- Mike

                                                           /V\