[nSLUG] Advice / comfort on rebooting ubuntu box

Douglas Guptill dguptill at accesswave.ca
Wed Dec 5 12:18:16 AST 2012

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 11:43:51AM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On 12/05/2012 11:30 AM, Douglas Guptill wrote:
> > The procedure worked for me on squeeze.
> >
> > I did a final reboot just to be sure that all was OK, and it was.
> >
> > The post-rm scripts said 2 symlinks (vmlinuz.old, initrd.img.old) were
> > damaged, and that I might have to re-run the boot loader.  I didn't.
>
> some boot loaders care (e.g. lilo, but most people use grub these days).
> those are symlinks to your "old" kernel. like i said, i recommend people
> keep the current kernel and "last known good" kernel before that as a
> safety net.

An excellent idea.

In my case, the old symlinks were pointing to the previous 3.2 kernel
- which I deleted.  Besides that, I have a 2.6.32 kernel.  Besides
that, in another partition, there is another bootable system.  So I
felt safe not having the 'old' 3.2 kernel.

> if you followed that recommendation, then your .old links
> should point at the old one. right now, they're dangling (i.e. pointing
> at a kernel & initrd that have been removed) so they'd be useless to
> boot loaders that care about them.

Actually, they seem to be gone.

Douglas.
--
Bold character derived from stubborn patience and adversity.