[nSLUG] Advice / comfort on rebooting ubuntu box

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Dec 5 11:43:51 AST 2012

On 12/05/2012 11:30 AM, Douglas Guptill wrote:
> The procedure worked for me on squeeze.
>
> I did a final reboot just to be sure that all was OK, and it was.
>
> The post-rm scripts said 2 symlinks (vmlinuz.old, initrd.img.old) were
> damaged, and that I might have to re-run the boot loader.  I didn't.

some boot loaders care (e.g. lilo, but most people use grub these days).
those are symlinks to your "old" kernel. like i said, i recommend people
keep the current kernel and "last known good" kernel before that as a
safety net. if you followed that recommendation, then your .old links
should point at the old one. right now, they're dangling (i.e. pointing
at a kernel & initrd that have been removed) so they'd be useless to
boot loaders that care about them.

Ben