[nSLUG] Advice / comfort on rebooting ubuntu box

Douglas Guptill dguptill at accesswave.ca
Wed Dec 5 11:30:21 AST 2012

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 10:43:05AM -0400, Miles Thompson wrote:
> The remote Ubuntu box running our mail server, which has not been rebooted
> for over a year has  /boot filling up with kernel images. I have to do some
> housekeeping.
>
> I believe the following are the correct steps, would appreciate
> confirmation:
>
> $uname -mrs returns
>    Linux 2.6.32-33-generic x86_64
>
> The most recent image, from the listing provided by
>    dpkg --list | grep linux-image
> is
>    linux-image-2.6.32-45-generic   2.6.32-45.100
>
> >From reading various posts I am lead to understand that issuing
>    sudo shutdown -r
> will reboot the box and load the latest image, which I will check with
> uname -mrs
>
> After that I can delete older images by executing than
>   $ apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.32-33-generic
> and working my way up to, but not including the image used after the
> reboot.
>
> Am I on the right track?

The procedure worked for me on squeeze.

I did a final reboot just to be sure that all was OK, and it was.

The post-rm scripts said 2 symlinks (vmlinuz.old, initrd.img.old) were
damaged, and that I might have to re-run the boot loader.  I didn't.

Douglas.
--
Bold character derived from stubborn patience and adversity.