[nSLUG] Advice / comfort on rebooting ubuntu box

Miles Thompson milesthom at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 10:43:05 AST 2012

The remote Ubuntu box running our mail server, which has not been rebooted
for over a year has  /boot filling up with kernel images. I have to do some
housekeeping.

I believe the following are the correct steps, would appreciate
confirmation:

$uname -mrs returns
   Linux 2.6.32-33-generic x86_64

The most recent image, from the listing provided by
   dpkg --list | grep linux-image
is
   linux-image-2.6.32-45-generic   2.6.32-45.100

>From reading various posts I am lead to understand that issuing
   sudo shutdown -r
will reboot the box and load the latest image, which I will check with
uname -mrs

After that I can delete older images by executing than
  $ apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.32-33-generic
and working my way up to, but not including the image used after the
reboot.

Am I on the right track?

Cheers - Miles

--