[nSLUG] nSLUG as incubator for personal project ideas

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Tue Dec 4 22:03:19 AST 2012

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Douglas Guptill <dguptill at accesswave.ca> wrote:

> Now there is a mystery.  How would I 'build against' testing?  Would I
> need to install testing somewhere?
>
> I am running squeeze, with some stuff (iceweasel, Libreoffice) from
> backports.  I cannot risk, or change, that system.  However I have
> virtualbox, and could install testing in that.  Is that the scenario
> you are suggesting?

While you can use virtualbox or kvm, I would recommend schroot. It is
a (AFAIK) Debian developed wrapper around regular chroot. I have used
it to run different versions of debian, and different linux
distributions both 32 and 64bit on my regular Debian. In your case it
would allow you to develop filerunner on your squeeze system and
compile it for sid, testing, and stable.

You workflow would be:
1. hack on filerunner with your favorite editor
2. build the packages against testing with the command: schroot make
(or ./configure, or whatever)
3. test filerunner running against testing and stable etc.
4. repeat.

Basically:
sudo mkdir -p /srv/chroot/testing
sudo debootstrap --include=locales,sudo testing /srv/chroot/testing
sudo cp /etc/locale.gen /srv/chroot/testing/etc
sudo chroot /srv/chroot/testing locale-gen
sudo chroot /srv/chroot/testing visudo

create the file /etc/schroot/chroot.d/testing.conf

[testing]
type=directory
directory=/srv/chroot/testing
users=<your username>

enter the schroot with the command:
schroot -c testing

or run a command with
schroot -c testing some_command

The schroot command automatically copies files like passwd and mounts
/home (and some others) within the schroot so it works as a testing
(or whatever) system within your Debian Stable. You can install
packages and the like within the schroot without affecting your main
system. If you haven't changed the default .profile you will have a
command prompt that includes the schroot name. Do note that it is
still a chroot, and root in a chroot is as good as root on the main
system.

--
sg