[nSLUG] nSLUG as incubator for personal project ideas

Douglas Guptill dguptill at accesswave.ca
Tue Dec 4 19:51:10 AST 2012

Hello Ben:

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 10:07:40PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On 03/12/12 09:19 PM, Douglas Guptill wrote:
> > I have one.
> >
> > filerunner was discontinued in debian squeeze.  For the lack of a
> > maintainer, and because 'there are many equivalents' - not my comment.
> > I have tried all the equivalents I can find, and found none to my
> > liking.
>
> It has been my observation that software that no longer has an upstream
> maintainer generally does not do well. If filerunner went back into
> Debian, you would become the de facto upstream maintainer for
> filerunner, not merely the maintainer of the Debian package. So you
> would need to be prepared for all that entails.

That sounds like a warning, and I wish I could say I understand it.

> > I use filerunner in place of a 'desktop'.
> >
> > So my project would be to re-introduce filerunner into debian.  The
> > problems I see are that I have failed to grasp the intricacies of how
> > to interact with the debian masters.  The technical (programming)
> > issues I could do, easily.  So if, maybe, Ben could help with that
> > high level stuff, I could once again have filerunner on my systems
> > without having to manually install filerunner_2.5.1.orig.tar.gz
>
> Not having reviewed the case of filerunner, I can make no promises as to
> whether I would be a backer for putting it back into Debian. That being
> said, I would be happy to provide pointers where I can, should you
> choose to undertake this yourself.

Great.

> Have you at least built yourself filerunner packages of your own using
> the old Debian source?

I'll try that.

> Have you tried building it against unstable and/or testing?

Now there is a mystery.  How would I 'build against' testing?  Would I
need to install testing somewhere?

I am running squeeze, with some stuff (iceweasel, Libreoffice) from
backports.  I cannot risk, or change, that system.  However I have
virtualbox, and could install testing in that.  Is that the scenario
you are suggesting?

Thanks for the reply,
Douglas.
--
Bold character derived from stubborn patience and adversity.