[nSLUG] Replacing the ailing wiki - Ikiwiki - Hackathon?

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Dec 4 11:35:05 AST 2012

On 12/04/2012 11:07 AM, Scott L. Cann wrote:
> Since I brought this up, I will step in and plan the thing.

Thanks for leading the charge, Scott!

> I found out about nSLUG from the web site and I am sure that there are
> others looking for a place to share their geekiness with like minded
> others.

Arguably, only a static page is needed for that ...

> Also it would be nice to put information about projects that the members
> are working on.

That's what I'm hoping, too.

> Who is interested in participating? This can be just adding your 2
> cents, opinion about what you would like to actually coding or adding
> content.

I have root on the server, so I can make stuff happen. That being said,
there's lots to explore in Ikiwiki, so if you want to participate, why
not install it yourself on your own system and make a simple site?
Assuming you accomplish that in a matter of minutes, you might go on to
look at the doc and see what else there is in there that excites you and
report back.

Ideally, I'd like to do the barebones (system level) setup of a bare
Ikiwiki, put up a *single* front page with nothing more than the
skeletal info about nSLUG we have on our current front page, have my
volunteer editors register accounts, and let you all at the rest. In
addition, anyone technically minded who wants to dabble in the software
itself, please share your ideas.

> What type of web site do we need?

Our present needs are currently pretty simple. Our future needs are
poorly defined, since we currently do very little other than interact on
the mailing list and get together monthly ... I think that's limited
only by our imagination and initiative.

> Where and when can those who volunteered meet to hack?

Is a physical meeting necessary or would coordinating the effort online
do just as well? I would be happy with either.

> The what type of site can be broken down into;
> 1. what do we want to do with it?
> 2. what software do we use.
>
> Some of 1 will dictate 2.

I still hold that very little deliberation is needed, and you'll find my
choice sufficiently meets our current needs while remaining open ended
about the future. But don't take my word for it, play with Ikiwiki
yourselves and tell me if you think I'm wrong. :)

Ben