[nSLUG] Incubating a project of my own: Debian You

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 07:32:57 AST 2012

Great project.   I use an older Garmin with a serial cable to capture
cycling tracks (position and elevation) so I can analyze it with
QLandkarteGT.

There is considerable interest in the community around the open source R
stats software ranging from GPS tracking of wildlife (don't want hunters to
be able to use the GPS data -- historically tracking collars have tended to
produce excess mortality) to high performance sports training (don't want
competitors/journalists to have access to details of training programs  --
imagine the effects on sports betting if someone could get data on top
runners).

<http://www.r-bloggers.com/garmin-data-visualization/> discusses the Garmin
fit format (also used by cyclists as well as runners) and privacy issues
associated with the common Web-based apps that require you to upload your
data.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia