[nSLUG] nSLUG as incubator for personal project ideas

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Mon Dec 3 22:07:40 AST 2012

On 03/12/12 09:19 PM, Douglas Guptill wrote:
> I have one.
>
> filerunner was discontinued in debian squeeze.  For the lack of a
> maintainer, and because 'there are many equivalents' - not my comment.
> I have tried all the equivalents I can find, and found none to my
> liking.

It has been my observation that software that no longer has an upstream
maintainer generally does not do well. If filerunner went back into
Debian, you would become the de facto upstream maintainer for
filerunner, not merely the maintainer of the Debian package. So you
would need to be prepared for all that entails.

> I use filerunner in place of a 'desktop'.
>
> So my project would be to re-introduce filerunner into debian.  The
> problems I see are that I have failed to grasp the intricacies of how
> to interact with the debian masters.  The technical (programming)
> issues I could do, easily.  So if, maybe, Ben could help with that
> high level stuff, I could once again have filerunner on my systems
> without having to manually install filerunner_2.5.1.orig.tar.gz

Not having reviewed the case of filerunner, I can make no promises as to
whether I would be a backer for putting it back into Debian. That being
said, I would be happy to provide pointers where I can, should you
choose to undertake this yourself.

Have you at least built yourself filerunner packages of your own using
the old Debian source? If so, on what release are you currently running
it? Have you tried building it against unstable and/or testing? That
would be the target if the package were to be re-introduced in the
Jessie release cycle (it has definitely missed Wheezy).

Ben