[nSLUG] Replacement fro gdm

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 18:48:03 ADT 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Jack Warkentin <jwark at bellaliant.net> wrote:
> Hi Everybody
>
> At the nSLUG meeting on Monday earlier this week I was asking if anybody had
> any suggestions as to a replacement for gdm3, into which gdm has
> metamorphosed, and is even cruftier than before (IMHO).
>
> Ben had a negative suggestion, ie do *not* use --- can't remember exactly
> what, but it was something like slip or slide.

Maybe 'slim'?

> The results of
>
> # apt-cache search "display manager"
>
> on my Debian testing system yielded
>
> gdm3 - Next generation GNOME Display Manager
> kdm - KDE Display Manager for X11
> [...]
> xdm - X display manager
>
> (Ben's non-suggestion obviously wasn't there.)
>
> I wasn't interested in kdm or xdm for more or less the same reasons that I
> was trying to replace gdm, and ldm & sdm did not appear suitable to my
> single machine systems (desktop and laptop, no server); nodm, for
> smartphones, was a non-starter.
>
> So I first tried wdm. It looked good at first, but when I su'd to root and
> tried to run synaptic, the authorization system said no. There was an error
> message saying "could not open display", which, I have learned from previous
> experience, means that X-authorization has rejected the request to open the
> display.
>
> So I got rid of wdm and tried lightdm and so far it looks good. As a result
> of purging gdm, I have been able to rid my system of roughly 20 no longer
> needed packages. Great de-crufting! But there are still a *lot* of gnome-ish
> packages around that are still needed by the half-dozen or so gnome
> applications that I use.

Many of those packages are probably pulled in by some "gnome-desktop"
meta-package.  If you want a minimalist configuration you should be able
to dump the meta-package.

> I hope this is of interest to other members of the list.

lubuntu is based on LXDE <http://wiki.lxde.org/>.  LXDE uses
GTK2.   It has been trouble-free in practice, and is an optional
install in many linux distros.  I generally keep an lubuntu VM
around and put a small lubuntu partition on any Windows
machine that needs something useful to do with those long
winter nights.

Knoppix has a version (microKnoppix CD) that uses LXDE.
<http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix60-en.html>

You can try out LXDE with lubuntu or microknoppix to see if
it is suitable for you.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia