[nSLUG] Replacement fro gdm

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 17:40:20 ADT 2011

The original purpose of xdm was to manage displays both local and
remote. My biggest beef with gdm is that they broke remote display
management. xdm does not allow remote displays by default (but who
knows what the distro maintainers have done). As for baggage & cruft,
well, look at X itself...

Another option is to login at the text console and type 'startx'.
(That's what I do). No concerns about remote access any more than you
already have. (Type "startx > .xsession-errors 2>&1 & exit" in order
to both log errors, and secure your text console).

Best of luck; let us know what you wind up using!

-D.