[nSLUG] Inventory/history/log of installed software/packages

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 21:02:43 ADT 2011

Good evening Frank,

I know this isn't a good fit for the problem (compared to the other
suggestions), but dpkg does have an option that dumps all packages
installed (or later removed) into a text file:

dpkg --get-selections > /path/to/package_list.txt

I've done compares with other installs in the past to find subtle
differences in how packages interact with each other.  There is also a
--set-selections option for when you're ready to reinstall everything
once the offending package is removed from the list (to get your
favourite packages back).

More generally, I've added this to my system backup script (before
copying over my home directory) in case my box goes down for any
reason that require a reinstall (fingers crossed this doesn't happen):

#!/bin/bash

echo System Backup
echo -------------
echo
echo Selecting Files...

mkdir /home/shared/Drop/Backup/current
tar cvvs /etc > /home/shared/Drop/Backup/current/etc.tar
tar cvvs /usr/local/bin > /home/shared/Drop/Backup/current/usrlocalbin.tar
tar cvvs /var/www > /home/shared/Drop/Backup/current/varwww.tar
dpkg --get-selections > /home/shared/Drop/Backup/current/packages.txt

echo Cleaning Up...

chmod -R 775 /home/shared/Drop/Backup/current
chown -R joel:shared /home/shared/Drop/Backup/current

echo Done.

Hope this helps.

--
Cheers,