[nSLUG] Problems with Ubuntu following upgrade to release 10.04.2 LTS

Daniel Morrison draker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 02:16:28 ADT 2011

I have seen a generic laptop with a broken USB port. Some of the pins
inside the port were mashed into odd angles, and (presumably?) the +5V
was grounded to the casing. The laptop would power on (fans & lights)
but there was no display and no booting. I straightened the USB pins
and ensured none were touching the casing; the laptop booted normally.

So an intermittent short in the USB port could cause your laptop to
fail to boot (even though it appears to power on). If the USB
extension cord is plugged in such that it removes the short, all
should be well, regardless of any device in the other end of the
extension.

-D.