[nSLUG] Problems with Ubuntu following upgrade to release 10.04.2 LTS

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 2 19:14:00 ADT 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 14:42 -0300, Jack Warkentin wrote:
> Hi Frank
>
> I would like to refresh my memory re the types and numbers of reboots
> that you performed on your laptop at last Wednesday's HCC meeting. If I
> am not mistaken, you first tried Ubuntu several times, then Windows 7
> several times, and finally got both Window 7 and Ubuntu to boot
> properly. Is that correct?

Yes, I think that is substantially correct.  I am not sure how many
times I tried before I was able to boot successfully.
> If so, and given that there were at least a half dozen or more failures
> before it finally booted properly, I have to speculate that your laptop
> has an intermittent hardware problem. If it were only one operating
> system that repeatedly failed, while the other was always successful, I
> would think there could be a race condition that was preventing
> successful booting. I have had that happen myself occasionally with
> GNU/Linux. But that would not explain why the failures occurred with two
> different operating systems.
I do have at least one intermittent problem, not related to booting.
One of the three USB ports works sometimes, but not all the time.  I
plug my wireless mouse transmitter/receiver (WTR) into the USB port on
the left, and sometimes it works, sometimes not.  On the other hand, if
I plug a USB extension cable into that port, and plug the WTR into that
cable, once it works properly it will continue to do so regardless of
how frequently I remove and re-insert the WTR into the extension cable.
Obviously there is a problem with the USB port, rather than the WTR.

> Also, it could be possible that the fault is heat dependent. You might
> try booting when it has been switched off for several hours compared to
> what happens when you reboot after is has been warmed up for a half
> hour. The heat dependency possibility occurred to me because it had been
> switched on for quite a little while before it started to boot
> successfully with both OS's.
>
> I realize that this is not what you wanted to hear, but at the moment it
> seems to me the most likely explanation for your problems.
Another possibility is that the problem may be related to moving the
laptop (transporting it) with something loose inside.  Yesterday I had
to try several times to get it to boot properly (the screen gave a very
interesting 'Northern Lights' imitation each time, but eventually it
booted properly.  On the other hand, today I have booted a number of
times with no problem -reducing the probability that it is heat related.
Thanks for keeping the problem in mind, though.  The system was a
'refurbished' one from Staples two years ago, and I did not purchase an
extended warranty.  Penny wise, pound foolish?  Perhaps.
Frank