[nSLUG] Problems with Ubuntu following upgrade to release 10.04.2 LTS

Jack Warkentin jwark at bellaliant.net
Sun Oct 2 14:42:43 ADT 2011

Hi Frank

I would like to refresh my memory re the types and numbers of reboots
that you performed on your laptop at last Wednesday's HCC meeting. If I
am not mistaken, you first tried Ubuntu several times, then Windows 7
several times, and finally got both Window 7 and Ubuntu to boot
properly. Is that correct?

If so, and given that there were at least a half dozen or more failures
before it finally booted properly, I have to speculate that your laptop
has an intermittent hardware problem. If it were only one operating
system that repeatedly failed, while the other was always successful, I
would think there could be a race condition that was preventing
successful booting. I have had that happen myself occasionally with
GNU/Linux. But that would not explain why the failures occurred with two
different operating systems.

Also, it could be possible that the fault is heat dependent. You might
try booting when it has been switched off for several hours compared to
what happens when you reboot after is has been warmed up for a half
hour. The heat dependency possibility occurred to me because it had been
switched on for quite a little while before it started to boot
successfully with both OS's.

I realize that this is not what you wanted to hear, but at the moment it
seems to me the most likely explanation for your problems.

Jack