[nSLUG] Re: Win8 and MS playing dirty?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Mon Nov 14 17:49:27 AST 2011

I don't really care about Lin/Win dual boot.  But if I can't wipe the
HD and install Linux, it isn't a computer.

While I'm here: I have an annoying problem with USB.

I can mount a USB storage device (external HD, memory stick, card
reader), read, write and umount just fine.

But when I physically unplug it and plug in another, it won't mount,
is not recognized as being a suitable device. lsusb sees the device
but mount doesn'g grok it.

Doing modprobe -r usb-storage, followed by modprobe usb-storage, fixes
me right up for that USB device. Have to repeat if I want to switch
again.

USB cams that don't use usb-storage.o work without complaint.

Seems to be the case with Slakware 11 (2.4 kernel, Dell Dimension
3000) and Slack 12.0 (2.6 kernel, udev installed but not hal, IBM MT-M
8193-A3U).

Any easy answers?

(I've intentionally omitted pages of error messages, clips from dmesg,
lsusb etc.  If someone has an idea but no quick answer I can post all
of that.)

                                                           /V\