[nSLUG] Win8 and MS playing dirty?

Daryl 7thson.clone at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:59:27 AST 2011

On 14/11/11 03:35 PM, Joel Maxuel wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 22:53:51 -0400
>> From: Daryl<7thson.clone at gmail.com>
>> Subject: [nSLUG] Win8 and MS playing dirty?
>>
>> found this while surfing around
>>
>> http://lxnews.org/2011/09/21/windows-8-linux-booting/
>>
>> looks like MS is looking at new ways of making it harder on us Linux users
>>

> Doing a quick refresh on UEFI, I'm not too sure.  The specification
> that would really matter for this (cryptography and network
> authentication) isn't even five years old.  And mainboard
> manufacturers probably didn't feel compelled to immediately adopt it
> either.
>
> I realize such an update to the BIOS (or what would have been once
> considered BIOS) will be flash-able, but unless MS can make this easy
> to perform for a novice user, said user simply wouldn't bother.  Would
> Microsoft be willing to shoot themsleves in the foot when it comes to
> (somewhat) older computers (lost upgrade sales), or would they provide
> a loophole for that hardware to co-exist with Win 8 that us hackers
> can use to continue use of dual-booting on a brand new box?

I don't know much about it either but what I got from reading the
article was more that new systems coming out would have to use the
locked down BIOS (or UEFI) in order to get the Win8 certified sticker.
I'm not sure what MS has in store for users that have newer hardware
that just want to upgrade the OS and not buy a new machine.

I'm also assuming (dangerous thing I know when dealing with MS) that
this is just for store bought systems so I'm not sure what MS has in
mind to deal with home built systems and manufacturers that provide
individual components. The future is going to be interesting....