[nSLUG] Win8 and MS playing dirty?

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:35:06 AST 2011

> Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 22:53:51 -0400
> From: Daryl <7thson.clone at gmail.com>
> Subject: [nSLUG] Win8 and MS playing dirty?
>
> found this while surfing around
>
> http://lxnews.org/2011/09/21/windows-8-linux-booting/
>
> looks like MS is looking at new ways of making it harder on us Linux users

Doing a quick refresh on UEFI, I'm not too sure.  The specification
that would really matter for this (cryptography and network
authentication) isn't even five years old.  And mainboard
manufacturers probably didn't feel compelled to immediately adopt it
either.

I realize such an update to the BIOS (or what would have been once
considered BIOS) will be flash-able, but unless MS can make this easy
to perform for a novice user, said user simply wouldn't bother.  Would
Microsoft be willing to shoot themsleves in the foot when it comes to
(somewhat) older computers (lost upgrade sales), or would they provide
a loophole for that hardware to co-exist with Win 8 that us hackers
can use to continue use of dual-booting on a brand new box?

--
Cheers,
Joel Maxuel