[nSLUG] used servers

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Nov 3 15:16:06 ADT 2011

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011, Jim Haliburton wrote:

> If using for a server or play thing they may require SCSI drives.

They quite definitely require SCSI drives, unless network or fibre storage
is used. I believe they're all SCA, apart from the blades which are
probably SAS of some flavour.

> Also most older SCSI drives were, compared to today, very low capacity.

Drive sizes on these machines ranged from 9 gig to 300 gig for SCSI, I
think the SAS drives were 750 gig.

> These older units were quite power hungry compared to the recent hardware.

s/quite/remarkably/ - most of it's from the drives, in my testing
(especially the 15k RPM drives).

> These units give off heat and may have noisy fans to keep them cool.  May not be the
> friendliest units to have in a small space.

If the hpasmcli software is loaded I believe the fans can be told to run
at a slower speed - certainly on the newer models, at least.

> Just some things to be aware about.  I was all excited about getting some free used DEC
> systems a while back.  Till I found out they were water cooled and needed 20Amp service.

Weeeeeell at some point there's the multi-cabinet AIX boxen that are going
to be going out the door... ;-)

Cheers... Dop.