[nSLUG] Advanced Format Disk (was: Best way to upgrade mirrored disks to larger capacity?)

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu May 19 20:01:36 ADT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 4:46 PM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>wrote:

> >> I found this tidbit:
> >>
> >> "Because of 63-sector legacy problems a bunch of ATA vendors will
> >> initially ship 512/4096 drives that are not naturally aligned.
> >> I.e. logical sector 63 will be aligned on a 4KB hardware sector
> >> boundary to overcome the misaligned default partitioning. "
> >>  -- <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/1039141>
> >>
> >> This suggests that  "Logical Sector-0 offset" will be "1" for retail
> >> desktop drives.

The linked discussion was posted Feb 2009.
I would think we are well past the period of initial
shipments of 4KB blocksize drives.  A Seagate document
I saw stated all hard drive vendors in the IDEMA
organization are now shipping Advance Format drives.
 <%20http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/whitepaper/mb604_4k_transition_faq.pdf>
http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/whitepaper/mb604_4k_transition_faq.pdf<%20http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/whitepaper/mb604_4k_transition_faq.pdf>

I've also read about earlier models which included a jumper to
be backward compatible, and an item stating drives with
this jumper were no more.  It gives me the feeling we are now
embedded in Advanced Format.

The open source tools need to catch up and have good defaults if
they detect an Advance Format disk.

I've played around more and I find the fdisk -cu method produces
good partitions.  One might want to add -b 4096 to mkfs.ext4 unless
this is now a default.