[nSLUG] Advanced Format Disk (was: Best way to upgrade mirrored disks to larger capacity?)

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Thu May 19 14:59:26 ADT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 2:37 PM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com>wrote:

> I found this tidbit:
>
> "Because of 63-sector legacy problems a bunch of ATA vendors will
> initially ship 512/4096 drives that are not naturally aligned.
> I.e. logical sector 63 will be aligned on a 4KB hardware sector
> boundary to overcome the misaligned default partitioning. "
>  -- <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/1039141>
>
> This suggests that  "Logical Sector-0 offset" will be "1" for retail
> desktop drives.

Thanks for those bits of research, although I'm not finding matches
with my "Blue" series WD drive.  The identify device info
doesn't show anything about 4001h, and the alignment is zero.

# sdparm --page=ai -HHH /dev/sdb | hdparm --Istdin

ATA device, with non-removable media
    Model Number:       WDC WD10EALX-009BA0
    Serial Number:      WD-WCATR6952606
    Firmware Revision:  15.01H15
    Transport:          Serial, SATA 1.0a, SATA II Extensions, SATA Rev 2.5,
SATA Rev 2.6, SATA Rev 3.0
Standards:
    Supported: 8 7 6 5
    Likely used: 8
Configuration:
    Logical        max    current
    cylinders    16383    16383
    heads        16    16
    sectors/track    63    63
    --
    CHS current addressable sectors:   16514064
    LBA    user addressable sectors:  268435455
    LBA48  user addressable sectors: 1953525168
    Logical/Physical Sector size:           512 bytes
    device size with M = 1024*1024:      953869 MBytes
    device size with M = 1000*1000:     1000204 MBytes (1000 GB)
    cache/buffer size  = unknown
Capabilities:
    LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
    Queue depth: 32
    Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, with device specific minimum
    R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16    Current = 16
    DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6
         Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
    PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
         Cycle time: no flow control=120ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
    Enabled    Supported:
       *    SMART feature set
            Security Mode feature set
       *    Power Management feature set
       *    Write cache
       *    Look-ahead
       *    Host Protected Area feature set
       *    WRITE_BUFFER command
       *    READ_BUFFER command
       *    NOP cmd
       *    DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
            Power-Up In Standby feature set
       *    SET_FEATURES required to spinup after power up
            SET_MAX security extension
       *    48-bit Address feature set
       *    Device Configuration Overlay feature set
       *    Mandatory FLUSH_CACHE
       *    FLUSH_CACHE_EXT
       *    SMART error logging
       *    SMART self-test
       *    General Purpose Logging feature set
       *    64-bit World wide name
       *    {READ,WRITE}_DMA_EXT_GPL commands
       *    Segmented DOWNLOAD_MICROCODE
       *    Gen1 signaling speed (1.5Gb/s)
       *    Gen2 signaling speed (3.0Gb/s)
       *    Gen3 signaling speed (6.0Gb/s)
       *    Native Command Queueing (NCQ)
       *    Host-initiated interface power management
       *    Phy event counters
       *    NCQ priority information
            DMA Setup Auto-Activate optimization
       *    Software settings preservation
       *    SMART Command Transport (SCT) feature set
       *    SCT Long Sector Access (AC1)
       *    SCT LBA Segment Access (AC2)
       *    SCT Features Control (AC4)
       *    SCT Data Tables (AC5)
            unknown 206[12] (vendor specific)
            unknown 206[13] (vendor specific)
Security:
    Master password revision code = 65534
        supported
    not    enabled
    not    locked
        frozen
    not    expired: security count
        supported: enhanced erase
    178min for SECURITY ERASE UNIT. 178min for ENHANCED SECURITY ERASE UNIT.
Logical Unit WWN Device Identifier: 50014ee205c3f4d7
    NAA        : 5
    IEEE OUI    : 0014ee
    Unique ID    : 205c3f4d7
Checksum: correct

# cat /sys/block/sdb/alignment_offset
0

According to one Seagate document, all drives shipped  after Jan 2011
will be using the 4KB blocksize, so this drive should be
within the current standard (didn't buy my drives at Staples
or Future Shop, where dirves are 2+ years old on the shelf).