[nSLUG] Advanced Format Disk (was: Best way to upgrade mirrored disks to larger capacity?)

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu May 19 14:37:00 ADT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:58 AM, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Linux has problems all on its own.  fdisk found in Debian squeeze
> defaults to creating the first partition at sector 63, violating
> the divisible by 8 rule.  I don't know what the installers from
> various distros do.

I found this tidbit:

"Because of 63-sector legacy problems a bunch of ATA vendors will
initially ship 512/4096 drives that are not naturally aligned.
I.e. logical sector 63 will be aligned on a 4KB hardware sector
boundary to overcome the misaligned default partitioning. "
 -- <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/1039141>

This suggests that  "Logical Sector-0 offset" will be "1" for retail
desktop drives.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia