[nSLUG] Best way to upgrade mirrored disks to larger capacity?

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Wed May 11 11:15:37 ADT 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 09:16:27AM -0300, D G Teed wrote:

> There are SATA connectors for only 2 drives on the mainboard
> and they are not hot swappable.

Are you sure? Any SATA I have used is hot swappable even if you have
to pull the cable. You may need to force a rescan to find the new
drives. I use rescan-scsi-bus.sh tool from Debian's scsitools package.

> One method is:

is they way you want to go. DD isn't.

I don't think you will need a live cd to reinstall grub. You should be
able to do it after you copy the data. You may need to chroot into
the new array and install grub to hd0 and hd1 so you should hit your
new drive.

To save some headaches I would recommend that you modify the new
/etc/fstab to use UUID= instead of /dev/mdXX as the md devices might
change.

--
sg