[nSLUG] [OFF-TOPIC] EastLink doing DPI/Blocking traffic?

Paul B wes902 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 12:41:57 AST 2011

Eastlink has been doing it for a while. Their AUP mentions it at
http://www.eastlink.ca/about/legal/aup.asp under "Internet Traffic
Management Policies (ITMP)"

If your clients reside on the residential service they could of been
subjected to a rule/flow setting triggered by the DPI. It's probably not
malicious intent but triggered via the "non-standard ports and home-grown
encryption" that might of triggered the DPI looking like malicious traffic.
Call up Eastlink and talk to a rep to at-least report the issue in case it
happens again.