[nSLUG] Why you are not seeing software ported to Linux

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 11:14:39 ADT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Dop Ganger <nslug at fop.ns.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, D G Teed wrote:
>
>> Why do Sun sparc binaries from ages ago still run today?

Old code runs if it happens to rely on interfaces that haven't
changed.   While there are
some older XP programs that still run on XPSP3, other programs that worked
in XP fail in XPSP3.

There was one basic interface change made post 2000 in X11 for
security reasons that
broke lots of linux software -- not sure how the big unix vendors
handled that one.

> As a counterpoint, I am having problems right now getting software compiled
> for AIX 5.2 by IBM to run on AIX 6.1, as it dumps core. IBM's response is
> that 5.2 is no longer supported.
>
> Also, xinetd will not compile under AIX 6.1 due to issues with rid_t being
> redefined by IBM in the headers. I have to compile it under AIX 5.3 and copy
> it across to the new systems I'm bringing up. Not supported as it's third
> party software.
>
> IBM like to boast about how great their backward compatibility is, and
> usually it's fairly good (I'm running AIX 4.3 binaries on AIX 7.1, for
> example) but purchasing a commercial OS by no means guarantees full
> backwards compatibility (or, indeed, any sort of useful support).

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia