[nSLUG] Why you are not seeing software ported to Linux

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Thu Jun 23 08:47:27 ADT 2011

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, D G Teed wrote:

> Why do Sun sparc binaries from ages ago still run today?

As a counterpoint, I am having problems right now getting software
compiled for AIX 5.2 by IBM to run on AIX 6.1, as it dumps core. IBM's
response is that 5.2 is no longer supported.

Also, xinetd will not compile under AIX 6.1 due to issues with rid_t being
redefined by IBM in the headers. I have to compile it under AIX 5.3 and
copy it across to the new systems I'm bringing up. Not supported as it's
third party software.

IBM like to boast about how great their backward compatibility is, and
usually it's fairly good (I'm running AIX 4.3 binaries on AIX 7.1, for
example) but purchasing a commercial OS by no means guarantees full
backwards compatibility (or, indeed, any sort of useful support).

Cheers... Dop.