[nSLUG] Why you are not seeing software ported to Linux

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Jun 22 20:38:52 ADT 2011

On 22/06/11 04:10 PM, D G Teed wrote:
> Unlike something like Solaris or Windows, in Linux
> you are expected to add another package to provide the library
> support, and then it works (e.g. ia32-libs).

As a maintainer of an ISV's deb package of your 32-bit-only software for
amd64 you just make your package depend on ia32-libs. The user installs
your package and it "just works".

> With a more standards based framework, these interventions
> would not be necessary.

Preaching to the choir. Take a look at Debian Policy lately? And the
counterexamples you provide are people working *against* the system as
it's designed to work, staunchly refusing to contribute to the
community. What, exactly, are you asking us to do? Throw our free
software principles out and fully embrace nVidia, bringing them into the
fold?

> The home brew approach of open source can be good.  It
> involves putting the user in control of their system and sometimes able to
> solve things in ways a vendor might block or make difficult
> to cope with.  There are lots of advantages.  From the engineering
> perspective there are also difficulties.

So the answer is? Take away the user's control, prevent them from having
choices, and make things more predictable for ISVs, and then we all win?

Ben