[nSLUG] Why you are not seeing software ported to Linux

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 15:31:09 ADT 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 7:20 AM, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought this blog entry was interesting...
>
> http://tirania.org/blog//texts/linux-developers.html
>
> Quote:
>
> To make Linux a viable platform for mainstream desktop use our community
> needs
> to realize the importance of these third-party vendors and not alienate
> them.
> Having a stable API, and a stable ABI is very important for this reason.

Here is a "use case":

A few years ago there was an effort to port a large open source Fortran
code to Gfortran, but it didn't work and FSF was reluctant to add support
for things "outside the current standards".  Eventually the two sides managed
to agree at gfortran 4.5.  Both sides had valid points: the Fortran code
has been used successfully for many years with a wide range of commercial
compilers, leaving gfortran as the outlier, while FSF wants to stick to the
letter of the standards and not chase compatibility with vendors'
implementations.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia